Really big 2nd batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Just finished brewing my second batch that was a Rochefort 10 clone. It was a pain in the a$$. It was only an extract kit as i am just beginning (should have ordered the PM kit as it is not that much harder) but it was still not easy. I pitched two smack packs of yeast as a lot of people recommended and aerated it for about 30 minutes so we will see how it turned out. Used 13.5 lbs of extract and that was pretty hard to get dissolved with the Belgian Dark candy sugar added in. Took an initial OG reading and i was sitting at 1.096 (supposed to be 1.110 so i guess i'm close enough?). Not sure what could have accounted for the difference in OG from what i was supposed to have but i guess there is no fixing it now right? Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Also i got the alcohol boost pack that you can get with the AHB kits. It is supposed to boost the beer by 1% abv. You are supposed to add it during the boil but would i just be able to throw it in the primary now and still be good? (i mean it seems pretty much like just sugar so it should just get eaten up by the yeast and produce more alcohol right?)

Did you use top off water? If you did and it was not mixed completely it could throw your gravity off. If not I'm sure you will be fine.

Yeah i used top off water. Although the top off water was REALLY cold (don't know if that could have thrown it off). I'm pretty sure i mixed it well though. I stirred it for a little while and like i said i aerated it for about 30 minutes so everything should have gotten mixed ok.

Temp right now is 64 F because the water was so cold but i think it will be ok. Leaves room for improvement. I will just have to do it better the next time.

Adjusting for Temperature

The most common type of hydrometer sold for brewing is calibrated for use on water at temperature of 60 F.
If your wort is at the correct pitching temperature, you need to make an adjustment to account for the difference between
the calibration temperature and the wort's temperature. You can perform this calculation with a brewing calculator
such as BeerSmith or you can use a hydrometer adjustment table such as this one.

http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_hydrometer_temp_correction.htm

If your initial OG reading was at 1.096 and your pitching temp was around 90 F, you would be at 1.10 (+.004) with the temp correction.

1.096 is a big beer...damn u need a booster for that?! sounds like you will be just fine if you let it go to me

Back