Really? Bested by Simplicity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I sit around and dream up all kinds of recipes all the time and then carry them out. Some are awesome, some suck. Comes with the territory.

But I'm sitting here studying for my Architect's Licensing Exam, listening to Magnolia Electric Co's Pandora Station, and drinking what is clearly one of the best beers I've made to date---60-some batches, I believe. I'm a happy boy.

Made merely with Munich 10L, EKG and T-58. SMaSH. Holy SH*T. It's sooooo good. Dunno if I can even swap this. It's crazy.

Bested by simplicity! I wish I could shove this recipe in the face of every n00b who frets over every detail and just say, BREW THIS! It's idjit proof, and it's amazing! :D

/rant

Sounds like a tasty, malty brew and probably resembles something our brewing forefathers would have brewed. What was your OG, FG and BU:GU ratio? I've got some extra Munich kicking around.

GT

I imagine...I'm quite sad I dropped out of the SMaSH, but I'm sure I'm going to do it at some point anyway. I have recently become obsessed with Munich malt.

That's awesome Evan! Count me among those who would like to hear more details and attempt your tasty SMaSH myself. I've never done anything so simple, and I'd probably still find a way to make it difficult, but it sounds like a great idea regardless.

I added it to my recipe database, or click here.

I cheated a bit on the SMaSH, because, well, I wanted to. Instead of the US-05, I used the T-58. And I added an extra step to my mash schedule. But otherwise, it's Cheese's original SMaSH.

It tastes relatively woody and spicy, and this is coming mostly from the hops and not the yeast, I suspect. The complexity in the nose and palate are astounding for such a simple beer. The balance is impeccable, and the bouquet practically leaps out of the glass. There's substantial maltiness and a richness on the palate, which comes from all that Munich leaving me at 1.019 FG. But it's really mainly the spicy/woody notes that make this beer such a goddamned winner...

Well, I'm not up on the SMaSH thread. Are we swapping soon? I owe you some brew anyway, brewtus, so you'll get some regardless.

Evan! said:
I added it to my recipe database, or click here.

I cheated a bit on the SMaSH, because, well, I wanted to. Instead of the US-05, I used the T-58. And I added an extra step to my mash schedule. But otherwise, it's Cheese's original SMaSH.

Well thanks to you and the big Cheese for what sounds like a great recipe. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it.

Back