really basic, really cheap, really loving it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExperimentalBrewer

Reaction score
As I have mentioned before, I make 1 gallon batches. (I enjoy the process of brewing, it is only me drinking it, and I like the simplicity of small batches) . Here is the recipe I am using and have really enjoyed the results.

1 12oz frozen concentrate
1 gallon apple juice, cheapest I can find. (doesn't all fit in gallon jug)
1/2 tsp yeast nurtirents
1/4 tsp nottingham ale yeast.

OG 1.055 FG .995 7.8%

3 weeks in primary

1/4cup table sugar for priming
2 weeks in bottle.

Dry but flavorful, very clear, nice carbonation So easy, too good. if I made bigger batches I would drink too much:).

I do something similar but use bottle juice + 1 cup of sugar with a champagne yeast 1/2 tsp. This is for a 1 gallon batch. 2 to 3 weeks in primary depending on the temperature. Then add another cup of sugar & 1/4 tsp of yeast at bottling. I use bale & stopper bottles but you could cap. 2 weeks in the bottle and the cider is carbonated like champagne and more demi-sec (slightly sweet). It's pretty heady (alcohol content about 10 to 12%), too. More like Apfelwein.
Only 1 bottle bomb so far because I bottled too soon!
Experimenting with sugars and flavors now, but it take 4 to 5 weeks to get results.

Interesting Johan. I was doing something similar, but for me switching from sugar to concentrate and switching from Red Star Pasteur yeast
to nottingham really improved the flavor of my cider. I actually did those changes in separate batches, the yeast change made the biggest improvement,

Sehr interessant! I must try this. I am using RedStar Premier Blanc presently.

Ive found that the ratio of 1 can of AJC per gallon of juice is a nice ratio.

if you start with the 96oz jugs of apple juice then it all fits in a gallon carboy :)

I have one that's ready to be racked to another carboy. I will add some gelatin to finish clearing it, then should be ready to bottle in about a week. 4 gallons Aldi brand apple juice, 1 pound sugar, yeast nutrient, Vintner's Harvest AW4 yeast. (never used that yeast before)

Very simple, and it fermented fast without any drama.

With the priming sugar, do you just mix it in or do you take a bit of the cider and heat it up and dissolve the sugar then add back in? Thanks!

...Then add another cup of sugar & 1/4 tsp of yeast at bottling. ...
Only 1 bottle bomb so far because I bottled too soon!

I don't think the bottle bomb was because you bottled too soon. If you adding one cup of sugar to prime a gallon you are adding about 200 grams of sugar (just under 1/2 lb). If you prime beer you might add 20 grams of sugar per gallon. So what you may be doing is drinking the bottles before they erupt... :eek:

ExperimentalBrewer, I use almost exactly the same recipe. I too love the process and simplicity. And like others mentioned, i use Notthingham yeast. I have not tried other kinds b/c I like Notty and I can get it near-by and cheap.

I have now started to experiment. For examples, I have done one with an addition home-pressed crab apple juice. And I just did a Graff, malted and dried hopped cider. It was amazing! Just finished it off last night. I am starting another batch today.

To make simple cider even simpler, try skipping the yeast nutrients next time to see if they are even needed. I don't use nutrients and I love my results.

I just started 4 gallons of cider this morning. 2 gallons of Kirkland apple juice, 1.5 gallons of Aldi's AJ (Aldi was cheaper), a pound of sugar, and half a cup of S-33 yeast slurry from a beer I bottled a couple of weeks ago. I will add the other half gallon of Aldi's once I know it's not going to foam over; it's in a 4 gallon carboy. I added half the recommended amount of nutrients this time and no yeast energizer. If that works I'll back off even more next time, or try a gallon w/o any nutrients.

Edit: 12 hours later and it's looking pretty foamy. :) Glad I left a half gallon of headspace in the fermenter

Last edited:
I find that without yeast nutrient, I get rhino farts. It's worth it to me to avoid that.

A half teaspoon of nutrient per gallon seems to be plenty. My recent batch still foamed out the top of the airlock and made a mess even with a large headspace. (just for one day; it has settled down now but still bubbling about twice a second)

Back