"Real" Length of need to control temp?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have had serious work constraints and therefore have had challenges keeping my swamp cooler temps under control (as well as I am brewing more often). My question is this:: If I can control the temp for the first 7days at about 66* (+2 or -2), and then move the fermtation pale into a location that is roughly 75* would this hier temp after 7 days result in off flavors? I had been hoping that since the majority of the fermentation is done in the first 7 days that moving it to a wamer location would not have major issues..

Any thoughts or issues around this??

BTW I am working on a fermentaion chamber/kegorator combo as my X-mas gift from SWMBO & kids.

From my experience it hasn't made a difference in my brews to let it rise for a bit after initial fermentation. I think at 75 degrees you are safe, wouldn't go too much hire then that. I pretty much brew exclusively like this after I moved and have loved all of the beers thus far.

In the end it will be personal preference. I say give it s shot and see what you like, as I think you will hear a lot of different opinions on the matter.

I have heard from several sources that a lot of professional brewers let their temps rise toward the end of fermentation, so I bet you'll be fine.

Typically after the active fermentation is winding down (as early as 4-5 days), I start allowing the temp to rise to 72. I normally ferment in low-mid 60's for most beers.

Once you get down to that point, the yeast are doing very little active work, and won't be generating off flavors due to the temp. It's the beginning (pitch temp & first 3-5 days) that are critical.

It depends on the style of the beer. For your basic american pale ale, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Once the fermentation is done, it is done and the basic fermentation profile is locked down. There's no magical reason why 70-75F is okay for bottle conditionning, but not for the tail-end of primary fermentation. Sure, lower temperatures are better since they will intice the yeast to flocc out more, but it's not the end of the world.

For English beers, I allow 2-3 days MAX of 72F + temperatures because any more than that and I get a flat, lifeless beer because the yeasts actually clean up too much esters. These beers are low-gravity, subtle affairs though.

I'd say that the ambiant temperature is less detrimental (to a degree) than fluctuations in the temperature. You don't want wild swings because it might stress the yeasts.

Back