Real fast Apfelwein Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
Can I use plain ol sugar in the Apfelwine recipe, instead of corn sugar? Do I use the same amount?

Thanks!

Yes, it's just harder to dissolve. You'll probably get a little more alcohol out of an equal amount of table sugar, but the difference won't be substantial.

Got my notes here...

Brew date: 19 Aug 08

Warmed 1/2 gal AJ in pot. Added 7 lbs table sugar, dissolved.
Added 3 tsp Yeast Nutrient and 4 tsp Acid Blend.

Poured 4.5 gals AJ into primary.
Poured in contents of pot.

Temp: 84F
OG: 1.111 + 3 = 1.114.

Sample tasted like a candied appled, very thick body.

Yeast: 1 vial WLP775, English Cider Yeast

Time passes...notes taken...Aug...Sep...8...17...25 Oct...very clear, nice and sweet, nice apple flavor...2 Nov: FG: 1.016 (about 85% attenuation...)

10.290% ABW
12.863% ABV:drunk:

:rockin:

Got my notes here...

Brew date: 19 Aug 08

Warmed 1/2 gal AJ in pot. Added 7 lbs table sugar, dissolved.
Added 3 tsp Yeast Nutrient and 4 tsp Acid Blend.

Poured 4.5 gals AJ into primary.
Poured in contents of pot.

Temp: 84F
OG: 1.111 + 3 = 1.114.

Sample tasted like a candied appled, very thick body.

Yeast: 1 vial WLP775, English Cider Yeast

Time passes...notes taken...Aug...Sep...8...17...25 Oct...very clear, nice and sweet, nice apple flavor...2 Nov: FG: 1.016 (about 85% attenuation...)

10.290% ABW
12.863% ABV:drunk:

:rockin:

Really? Man, I love candied apples, and I always find myself back-sweetening apfelwein with splenda. I shall have to try this. :mug:

Edited: I'm amazed that 7 lbs of sugar would dissolve into 1/2 gallon of AJ, but I guess the heat helps. I'll pop this into the fermenter next weekend and try it.

I'm amazed that 1/2 gallon of AJ would even moisten 7lbs of sugar! But I'll take Bill's word for it. :D
Now THAT'S funny...I couldn't help but chuckle out loud...:ban:

I made another batch of cider (5 gals) and used 2 lbs corn sugar, 2 lbs honey and 2 lbs of dark brown sugar. It has the taste of maple, a very autumn-like flavor.

Really? Man, I love candied apples, and I always find myself back-sweetening apfelwein with splenda. I shall have to try this. :mug:

Edited: I'm amazed that 7 lbs of sugar would dissolve into 1/2 gallon of AJ, but I guess the heat helps. I'll pop this into the fermenter next weekend and try it.
Since you find yourself backsweetening you should really use a less attenuating yeast.

I forget who it was that did that cider and yeast experiment...but I have to tell everyone that using a weizen yeast for cider is a great choice since it attenuates at like 75% which leaves 25% residual sugar. Very nice and sweet. Kudos!!!:mug:

I'm glad I saw this post when I did; I was just about to order a couple pounds of corn sugar from Midwest but now I'll be able to get the batch going sooner. Stupid question, but is table sugar what I want to look for at the grocery store?

Wow... Now I may have to re-think my trip to the store tomorrow. I'm planning on doing my first apfelwine batch and was planning on going with the 2 lbs. of sugar (table sugar). I noticed Llazy that you said you're always sweetening yours at bottling time, do you think I should up the amount of sugar in the batch tomorrow?

So, I started it all up a few hours ago and I had a question. I didn't heat the AJ btw, as I figured it was pasteurized already. Anyway, I didn't prep the yeast (Red Star Pasteur Champagne), just mixed the sugar and juice, dumped it in, and poured in the yeast. A few hours later, there is an inch-thick ring (perfectly circular) around the inside of the carboy. It is about 2 inches or so from the edges, and it's white. Is this the yeast, forming a circle for some reason? Or is it possibly fermentation starting? It seems weird that it would be perfectly circular.

Wow... Now I may have to re-think my trip to the store tomorrow. I'm planning on doing my first apfelwine batch and was planning on going with the 2 lbs. of sugar (table sugar). I noticed Llazy that you said you're always sweetening yours at bottling time, do you think I should up the amount of sugar in the batch tomorrow?
If you up the sugar it'll just ferment out.

Sweetening at bottling time uses sugar at another time, not now.

So, I started it all up a few hours ago and I had a question. I didn't heat the AJ btw, as I figured it was pasteurized already. Anyway, I didn't prep the yeast (Red Star Pasteur Champagne), just mixed the sugar and juice, dumped it in, and poured in the yeast. A few hours later, there is an inch-thick ring (perfectly circular) around the inside of the carboy. It is about 2 inches or so from the edges, and it's white. Is this the yeast, forming a circle for some reason? Or is it possibly fermentation starting? It seems weird that it would be perfectly circular.
It'll be fine. I just heat up a 1/2 gal to help dissolve the sugar faster.

The yeast forming a circle is like a ripple in a lake. ;)

It'll be fine. I just heat up a 1/2 gal to help dissolve the sugar faster.

The yeast forming a circle is like a ripple in a lake. ;)

The yeast circle is normal then? I looked at it before work, and there appears to be some action going on... the ring looks much wider and looks like it's bubbling.

I am so excited! It's like magic in the making!

You technically don't even need to add sugar. Apple juice has a bunch of sugar in it already. I believe the alcohol content will be lower, but a lot of old timers do it this way.

Got my first batch of Apfelwine fermenting downstairs as we speak. Was wondering, I got it to a OG of 1.060 and know that it will be fermenting out pretty dry over the next month with the addition of 3ish pounds of table sugar. Question, would I be able to just "stop" the fermentation when it gets down to an semi-sweet gravity by racking into another carboy? Or should I let this ferment out and then sweeten to taste at bottling?

You can try to stop it at almost any time you want. The trick is catching at the right time.

In this type of situation I would want the yeast to ferment out all the sugar because this would result in a higher alcohol percentage whereas,
(back)sweetening is to taste. ;)

Personally, I think yours will ferment out to a higher percentage than you quoted.

Back