Real Absinthe now available in the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
http://drinklucid.com/ageCheck.cfm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/b...html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Lucid will be available starting next month, priced at $59.95 for a 750-milliliter bottle. A Web site, DrinkLucid.com, will soon post information on liquor stores that will carry the product.

I've had a knock off version of Absinthe before, but apparently this one has real wormwood in it. I think Im going to give it a shot. What exactly should I be expecting?

Chimone said:
http://drinklucid.com/ageCheck.cfm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/business/yourmoney/29goods.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I've had a knock off version of Absinthe before, but apparently this one has real wormwood in it. I think Im going to give it a shot. What exactly should I be expecting?

I had the real thing in Amsterdam...it was about what I expected. You MUST drink it right though...water dripped over sugar into the absinthe. Then it is drinkable at least. I was expecting slightly anise flavored jet fuel and I got VERY BITTER slightly anise flavored jet fuel.

It wasn't all that great but I'd do it again.

I drank close to a bottle of it one night with a mate. I don't remember the train ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh. What you should be expecting is a lot of fun that you will instantly forget.

Dude said:
I had the real thing in Amsterdam...it was about what I expected. You MUST drink it right though...water dripped over sugar into the absinthe. Then it is drinkable at least. I was expecting slightly anise flavored jet fuel and I got VERY BITTER slightly anise flavored jet fuel.

It wasn't all that great but I'd do it again.

I swear everyone here has been to Amsterdam but me. :mad:

I have a bottle that was made in Switzerland and it is very very good. The stories you hear about it being horrible tasting are from those who have had very low quality czech or even some spanish Absinthe. There is no hallucinogenic properties to this absinthe, just a nice warm clarity. I love it when I get the opportunity to enjoy it. I make a night of it; listen to some music, watch a good movie or write something. I will definitely try this when it comes out.

Dan

eh, I drank a bottle of it in Prague with my brother, whether it was the real stuff or not, I went out to the bars afterward, and had a blast. A really clean drunk which somehow allowed me to run game on every girl in the bar and not sound like a drunk idiot. Ended up trying to find my hotel for hours after leaving some girls apartment at 5am god knows where in the city.

Wasn't the reason for the mind altering abilities that Edgar Allen Poe enjoyed due to poison that was produced during the process?

It has nothing to do with the wormwood i was told, and i think there was a show on the History channel about that. The show also included the process of making Cognac. I think it was a modern marvels show.

Recently while on our trip in Vegas I noticed a bottle of absinthe in the bar at the hotel where we were staying. Curious, I asked the bartender for a taste. He obliged, but advised that I use caution. I sipped slowly, but after a few minutes I felt gas pressure which I believed I could relieve by letting only a little escape at a time. Imagine my horror when the gas left me all at once with a resounding HOOOOOONDAAAAAA!!! It was just like the first time I swigged my first green beer of homebrew! Mortified, I looked around to see if anyone had noticed that it was I who was the cause of the commotion, and much to my relief no one was looking my way.

Wondering if it had been the absinthe which had caused it, I ordered another and a few minutes later felt the same buildup of pressure which ended with the same embarrassing release. Not knowing if there was a relationship between the liquor and the pressure, I asked the bartender if he could explain it, whereupon he told me,
wait for it.....
You're gonna hate me......
"Absinthe makes the fart go Honda."

i have had it quite a few times. it seems to taste most like black liqorice. overall, its a very clear drunk. and i have yet to get a hangover from it.

I had some in Prague. Tried to chase the fairy, i did.
Its like a black licorice schnapps, thats green. Definitely do the sugar and/or fire thing if you can.
If its the real deal, you will be far too drunk before any of the "hippy" effects hit you.

Back