Ready to PM, almost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libs

Reaction score
I know I can do better than my first brew. It was an extract amber ale I consider pretty good. I am not going to stick around and try to perfect the art of extract brewing.

I am definitely ready to take the pm plunge, and think I have a pretty good handle on the process, and access to a good LHBS.

My only problem is finding a good PM IPA recipe. I have done some searching here and elsewhere on the net, but can't find any that seem like the right one to try. I definitely like hoppy goodness, but don't want to go overboard so as to be able to share with SWMBO.

If anybody could be so kind as to link me to one that they no of, I would forever (or for 5 minutes, whichever comes first) be in your debt.

Thanx:)

I don't have the software, any idea how much of an investment that is. (or is somthing available shareware style)?

thanks btw

Both ProMash and BeerSmith, the most commonly used software are about $20.00 last time I looked. I have BeerSmith because it is more user friendly and is by all accounts as good as ProMash. Each has a free trial so you can decide for yourself.

If you have BeerSmith I can send you the file of the above recipe.

Brewing software is the perfect way to store recipes, brew with Brew Sheets and keep brewing records. It also will convert recipes to extract, PM or all grain as well as scale them to different size batches.

Doing it any other way is simply doing it the hard way. I have done 26 batches and all but 3 with BeerSmith.

http://www.beersmith.com/

For 5 gallons:

IBU: 48 (style: 40-60)
Color: 10 (style: 6-15)
OG: 1.067 (style: 1.056-1.075)
FG: ~1.017
ABV: ~6.7%

5 lb 2-row
1 lb Crystal 40L
5 lb LME

2 oz Northern Brewer for 60min
1 oz Cascade for 15 min
1 oz Cascade for 2 min
Dry hop to taste

Mash grains for 60min @ 154f and do a late add on the LME.

Yum.

QBrew is free and can do a decent job with partial mashes.

Back