ready to finally make the plunge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could end up with a real bargain that way...or you could end up with one that gives you problems or has much more than you need or is missing somethings that are necessary. I'd suggest you start with a new but very basic kit that will have no scratches to harbor bacteria and will have the essential equipment. I bought one like this about 6 years ago and am still using nearly everything it included. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html I've added more fermenter buckets and an autosiphon but I could still brew with the original kit.
One of the things it does not come with is a pot. I had a 20 qt stainless steel pot already from home canning but I later added a turkey fryer to get a propane burner and a bigger pot. The 30 qt pot works but bigger would be better.

Depends how much $$$, what's included and its condition. Really can't answer without more detail. As posted above, most items last a long time so it can be a good way to save some cash...

Sure, they're not like condoms or bandages. You can buy them used.

woozy said:
Sure, they're not like condoms or bandages. You can buy them used.

What makes you say you CAN'T buy condones or bandages used?

Sorry... Had to say it. I'm done now.

Since I'm not worried about off flavors (to each his own), I'd suggest a bleach bomb.

OK, now I'm *really* done with this thread. Sorry again :).

That midwest starter kit is a bargain at $65. But they do have options you can add to it depending on what you do or don't have. Like a brew kettle (We found a set of 4 nested SS stock pots with lids & steamer trays,polished for some $25 at Giant Eagle a couple years ago). I still use the 5 gallon one for anything from AE to PB/PM BIAB beers. Works on the stove top reql well with good burners/heating elements. Those options mentioned can include BK,Bottles,or even a kegging kit,among other things. So it depends on what you need now,& whether you want to hunt for bargains or not.

If you wait, I know they do a Groupon two to three times per year and it comes with a kit and a 25$ gift certificate for your next purchase for 35$. My friend got it free because he got 3 other people to buy the kit on Groupon

MW had a father's day deal where they gave a free starter kit with purchase of a $125 gift card. Since I spend money like crazy there, it was a no-brainer.

Like wfowlks said, if you wait around a bit, you can find good deals. It helps to go ahead and sign up with one of the supply stores to receive their promotional offers.

That's another good one. $25 is enough to buy the average beer kit. I just missed one from Northern Brewer that was a bogo on Better Bottles. I traded for a 6 gallon one,but want to get a 5 gallon one so I have a secondary for the two most common batch sizes. Since you don't want too much extra head space in secondary,I think one of each size would be a safe bet. And I like the carboy caps with the two tube things on the top better than the plug style ones. No chance of the cap slipping inside when wetted with sanitizer,imo.

Looking for burner as well, should I save the money and go with the Blichmann right from the start?

Here's a good burner, tho I don't own it, from northern brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-dark-star-burner.html

If you have the money yes I definitely recommend buying better quality upfront so you don't regret if later. I bought my BK and burner from Homedepot.com it was a turkey fryer kit and while it's good I do wish I had spent a little more money on both now. Good luck.

A good burner is nice because it's multipurpose. I'm from Maryland so I've used mine to steam crabs, also, wings, chili, corn on the cob, a turkey fryer. Just about anything large (or a large quantity) you want to cook outside in a pot. I don't own a blichmann yet, but I've used one, and it's definitely on my list... So quiet.

OP- When I went to 5 gal from Mr Beer, I bought 2 craigslist starter kits that people were selling. One had been used once or never, the other was used a lot. Neither has given me troubles.
I got my wine kit the same way.

Looking for burner as well, should I save the money and go with the Blichmann right from the start?

I know people will be up in arms over this but Blichmann IMO is a money sink. There are a few independent people who have done reviews, and studies, and in actual use the Bayou Classic SQ14 for 50$ is a better burner than the Blichmann, as the Max BTU is higher.

I have just chosen not to spend my money on the Blichmann items, and haven't had a bad brew yet. But if you are a person who likes frivolous bells and whistles go for Blichmann

I used a Bayou Classic SP50 (SP10 with longer legs) for the past 1.5 years. I recently upgraded to the Blichmann burner and love it. Its super quiet and much faster and more efficient. If you can swing it get the Blichmann with the legs (FYI Rebel Brewer has then all Blichmann gear over 100 bucks for free shipping.) I love it.

Back