Ready to dump out a batch any ideas?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dirtyb15

Reaction score
Well.... still learning. A while back i attempted a fat tire clone. (This might have been my second AG batch.) My water was about a gallon off (don't ask :drunk: ) so my OG came in pretty high, dont have my notes with me but pretty significant. I also kegged without taking a FG reading (Yes, i messed up on many levels.) So now it tastes extremely malty. I have already had about half the batch but its getting tougher and tougher to drink expecially now that i have a great pale ale kegged now. Pretty sure i am just going to dump in unless anyone has any ideas on attempting to save it? I would guess there is only about 2 gallons left.

LLBeanJ

Reaction score
Dump it if you don't like it. Unless you're a masochist and feel that you need to punish yourself for screwing up the batch, in which case I'd say drink it all... slowly and deliberately.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Out it goes.... But you probably already knew that huh LL? :)
1. Make a really bitter hop tea. That will quell the sweetness somewhat.
2. Dry-hop it to get some flavor and aroma.

You will have essentially created some sort of IPA.

The other option would be to pour a bit and let it warm up and decarbonate over the course of 12 hours. Take a gravity reading. If its too high (i mean 5 pts or more too high) then let the keg warm up repitch some yeast. Let it go for a week or so, you'll have to vent the keg routinely, and then throw in the kegerator. IN a couple of days the yeast will settle out and your first 1-2 pints will be slurry. What's let should be a much more palatable beer.