Ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
My home brew should be ready to bottle. I took my third grav. Reading and it has not changed. I can not find instructions on how to bottle. W/ dext. Ratio to a 5gl. Batch

Og was 1.038
FG is 1.001
Well not to sure how to write it but that's what I've been reading

Ok just to clarify. Need to tAke reading prior transferring into secondary, need reading before bottling. Is there a "gravity number" I should be looking for. First time bottling

Og was 1.038
FG is 1.001
Well not to sure how to write it but that's what I've been reading

What type of beer was this? That is a pretty low OG.

It sounds like you are ready to bottle though. There really is no set gravity to look for. Every beer has an estimated FG that varies from beer to beer, which if this was a kit you would find the estimated FG on the instruction sheet.

When you say secondary are you talking about your bottling bucket?

Ok well to start of this is my first brew. It's a cream ale. It's been 16 days. One week on primary and one week in secondary. And no not including bottling bucket

I believe I might have mis read the OG. I might have rushed the sparging. Sparing was about 10 min.

Gustavo said:
Ok well to start of this is my first brew. It's a cream ale. It's been 16 days. One week on primary and one week in secondary. And no not including bottling bucket

Bottling at this point is entirely up to you. With the steady readings, and the time line your beer should be ready. Hydrometers become easier to read with time. I struggled with my first couple batches, but now it is second nature. 16 days is plenty fermentation but a lot of people would argue that you need to give it more time to clear up. I personally ferment for 2-3 weeks and then bottle. It is best to let it bottle condition for a few weeks. It's hard to be patient on your first brew though. I cracked a couple open each week in the bottle. This helped me see the differences in the conditioning process.

Back