ready to add priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie1980

Reaction score
hi i am ready to bottle my first batch i have decided to syphon into clean empty bucket and add my priming sugar, the problem i have is how much do i add, ive seen people say add 3/4 of a cup, so u mean a normal drinking cup ??
also i have brewing sugar is this ok to use. thanks

3/4 of a cup as in the measuring cup. That you have n the kitchen.

31XCT4X42ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or even

measuring-cup.jpg

But we really recommend you measure by weight, not by volume. 4.5-5 ounces is the norm for basic carbonation purposes.

Now what do you mean by "brewing sugar?" Is it corn sugar or granualted table sugar? Different sugars have different measurement requirements.

ty for reply i dont have that measurement so will probally put about 5 onces of the sugar i have, as for the brewing sugar it doesnt say what sort it is just says youngs brewing sugar

just a few cups of water is needed, just enough to boil and dissolve the sugar, throw it in your bucket and siphon your beer onto it to help mix it around as you fill the bucket.

The amount of corn sugar depends on the beer style, volume, and temperature.

It needs to be a sugar that will ferment.

I would suggest using one of the priming calc sites to figure out how much to add to the batch. Depending on the brew, you'll probably need to change the amount of sugar added. Also things like brew temperature and amount actually going intp bottles will impact how much sugar to use.

Personally, I've never used the typical ultra-processed white sugar to prime any of my brews. I started with honey and then shifted to using dememera sugar (pretty damned cheap even at the grocery store). I typically use 3-4oz of sugar to prime 5 gallons of brew.

The one thing that I will say to always do when adding any sugars to a brew (for priming or normal fermwnting) is to go by weight NOT volume.

Hi Cookie, fellow UK brewer. Take care with measurements quoted here as US and Imperial Gallons are different - 1 US gallon - 4/5th UK Gallon (approx). A US Cup is (IIRC) 8 fluid ounces.

Go with what your kit says, or the manufacturer's website. I tend to make exclusively ales which tend to require a lower carbonation than a lager, for example and 5 ounces (weight) for 23 litres is about right.. There are tables and calculators around to help you with the amount of various different fermentables to achive the "standards" for the style of beer that you are brewing.

If the young's is anything like cooper's brewing sugar,it's 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin. The maltodextrin doesn't ferment out,so as to give more mouth feel. I need to get a scale myself,didn't have one when I primed our 2 batches. Mine is an APA,so I used the priming calculator at http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php So,3/4C equaling about 4oz,& the calculator saying I needed 4.55oz for 2.3A,I made it 1C even. Figured that would be pretty close. Gotta get a scale for next time.

Latest posts

Back