Ready for my second batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
So my second batch will be a stout. Got some safale-04 to replace the coopers yeast (it's a copper can). I'd like to add some oatmeal to it. How do I go around doing this? I also bought some dark malt extract for use instead of sugar. I'm thinking 1 lb of oatmeal?? I'm brand spanking new so enlighten me!!!

Not sure you're going to be able to just steep Oatmeal like specialty grains if that's what you wanted to do. You may have to read up on how to do a mini-mash, but maybe someone else will be able to give a recommendation.

Only hints I can think of are that you should let it sit in the primary for at least 2 weeks, and age it for at least 4-6 weeks. Longer the better on this one.

You can steep oats but a partial mash is a better way to go, you will get much more out of the oats that way. use the search on this site for instructions. It is very simple you should have no problem.

I don't know if steeping oatmeal will do much good. You will not get any sugars from it, since the starches need enzymes (as in a mash) to convert to sugars. Drop the oatmeal, and research partial mash for a later date.

I would not eliminate all the simple sugars. Dark extract will leave the beer sweet. Some simple sugar (about a pound) will help to dry it a little.

Partial mash is the way to go, get a big enough grain bag put in your specialty grains and your oats and mash at about 152 (using water aroubd 168ish) for about an hour. A small clean cooler would be perfect for this I would heat that up first with some boiling watet (cleans and heats). After the hour pull the grains and add the liquid to your brew pot and go from there. If using dark dme, I would add it later in the boil. it c

Back