Ready for bottling i think!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamic

Reaction score
5 days later and it looks likes its bottling time!! Won't be able to do it until tomorrow though.

image-2993199851.jpg

5 days later than when. If that is your first final gravity reading wait until Sunday and take another one. If they are the same it is safe to bottle. That beer is not very clear and would benefit with another week of three to clear up. If you don't have final gravity you risk further fermentation in the bottles that could cause enough internal pressure to make them explode.

Relax and let the yeast finish everything and you will get a better beer!

Thanks

But the airlock has been fairly inactive from yesterday. I'll take another reading on Sunday then. I'm in no rush to get it drinkable I just want it right.

dynamic said:
Thanks

But the airlock has been fairly inactive from yesterday. I'll take another reading on Sunday then. I'm in no rush to get it drinkable I just want it right.

Airlock does not tell you anything about fermentation. Only your gravity readings do.

Your beer will be much better if you give the yeast time to do their thing. Most beers take 5-14 days to ferment and improve and clear with another week of conditioning/clearing. Your patience will be rewarded. Hardest thing about this hobby is the waiting!

If you want it right then be patient and allow the beer time to drop bright (meaning clear) The yeast will slowly flocculate and drop out of suspension and produce a nice clear beer in about another week. Then bottle!

Thanks guys!

Do I keep it at the same temp? I thought the clearing process happened in the bottle, my bad

you can move it to a warmer place or turn up the heat, but it'll happen as well at its current temp. +1 on waiting. The most active fermentation happens within the first few days, but then the gravity will continue to creep down slowly after that, as well as clear up. Time is your friend.

Walk away from it and try to forget about for at least another week maybe even 2. Then check your gravity. Patience Grasshopper!

dynamic said:
Just out of curiosity, why would I increase temp?

Bottle conditioning is best done between 70-80.

Once active fermentation is done temperature is less an issue and with some strains , raising the temperature helps the yeast fully attenuate

When you see the rapid constant bubbling slow down or stop,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to Fg from there. then allow another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. then bottle. It'll drop clearer in the bottles after a couple days during carbonation & conditioning.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm still in learning mode.

I took a reading on Friday and then again today and it was the same. I've now bottled and is in a cupboard at about 21/22C, then next week I will put in loft where it's cooler

keep them where they are (warmer space) then as needed pop them in the fridge as needed. 2-3 days fridge time is best before consumption.

1 week fridge time is better in regard to giving any chill haze a chance to form & settle out. you'll also get better carbonation & head. two weeks fridge time for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

dynamic said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm still in learning mode.

I took a reading on Friday and then again today and it was the same. I've now bottled and is in a cupboard at about 21/22C, then next week I will put in loft where it's cooler

You really should leave it for 2 to 3 weeks until you cool it so they have time to carb.

It's hard to see from photo but its crystal clear! Im going to leave it another week in warm conditions then put up the loft for a month or so where it's nice and cool

image-922791254.jpg

Back