Ready for AG, Almost...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmhilker

Reaction score
I'm just about ready for my leap into AG. I scored 3 kegs to convert into keggles, and I found a guy who teaches a welding class, and has agreed to cut the tops off, and weld my fittings at no charge. 2 of them are coors kegs, (they are fat in the middle, like me), but I think they will work ok. I already bought the ingredients for my first batch, which will be Ed Wort's Pale Ale. I plan on taking lots of pictures.

One question about grain storage: Is the freezer the best place to keep the grains before using them? I just wanted to verify.

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips and techniques on this site!

Hilkmeister
:mug:

are the grains crushed already? either way i'm sure it will be fine not putting them in the freezer. I've heard that you shld try to use crushed grains within a week or two - but uncrushed in fine for a long time.

I store my grains in a home depot "homer" bucket in the garage. I line the bucket with a plastic bag but I've never had any problems with grain going bad.

If they are not crushed, you can safely store them in a protected container for months. If uncrushed, you might really want to put them in the fridge or freezer, where they should be ok for many weeks.

Crushed grains are said to go bad in as little as 3 weeks IIRC.

Sheit...not to hijack the op's thread but I have 3 grain bills already crushed that I got from AHS last week...they are still sealed up as I received them but not in the fridge/freezer. I plan on brewing one of them (Oktoberfest) this weekend...what should I do with the other two (Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde & EdWort's Haus Pale Ale) since they are crushed? Do I have to rush getting them done?

I guess I'm gonna need a barley crusher sooner than I thought...

illin8, if you have room in the fridge toss them in. I just leave my sealed bags of crushed grain in my 55 degree basement and haven't had issues yet leaving them for up to a month, and i'd guess longer. The key is they are sealed so no new air is getting in.

Back