reading the hydro right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes_brew

Reaction score
:confused: couldn't wait any longer had to look. I took a reading of 1.006 I think if I read the triple scale correctly. each line represents .002 I think, 5 lines between 1.000 and 1.010, so 3 lines past 1.000 would be 1.006.

can I bottle tommorrow?

thanks

How long has it been fermenting? At 1.006 I would guess it done because that is pretty low for beer.
Also, what was your OG and what is the recipe.

mikes_brew said:
:confused: couldn't wait any longer had to look. I took a reading of 1.006 I think if I read the triple scale correctly. each line represents .002 I think, 5 lines between 1.000 and 1.010, so 3 lines past 1.000 would be 1.006.

can I bottle tommorrow?

thanks

RB is right:
1.006 is pretty low, but relative to what? What was your starting gravity?

The only way to know is if your reading remains constant for three straight days.

It isn't so much "what's you reading" as "how long has your reading been at that level?".

unfortunately, I did not take a OG, 1st brewing and forgot, I brewed friday morning. it was a nut brown extract kit.

yeah you definately don't want to bottle. The rule of thumb around here is the 1-2-3 method, 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottle. If you dont have a secondary you can just do 3-3. But even if it stops bubbling, the yeast is still doing important things to your beer.

From the sounds of it, you've read your hydrometer wrong. You probably shouldn't be at 1.006 and not in 4 days.

Unless you tried really hard to get a really dry FG (not likely with an extract kit), 1.006 is done regardless of your recipe or SG.

So yes, you *can* bottle. How long has it been fermenting? If it's less than two weeks and you don;t need to have it in bottles right away for some reason, I'd leave it. Even though it's done fermenting, the yeast are still doing some cleanup work, and your beer will get better with more fermentation time.

Did you correct your gravity reading for the temperature? If not it could raise your reading by a couple of points if your beer is on the warm side. If not go to: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html

Oh and yes you are reading the gradations correctly. Also you take the reading from the top of the meniscus not the bottom.

Hydrometer
/
---> | |
\-------------/| |\_______/

I am still just a noob so hate to give advice, but make sure that you are taking the gravity readings at the temp your hydrometer was calibrated at. If the temp of your beer is warmer than that, there are some calculations that need to be done.

Also put your hydrometer in plain water and see where it reads. I just found out mine is reading two points low in 60 deg distilled water (0.998) so that may come in to play for you as well.

Cheers

Lots of good suggestions here.

Did you have a really strong initial fermentation? Lots of bubbles in the airlock, lots of krauesen (foam) on top? If so, then it's possible that it is done by now, although 1.006 will make for a pretty dry beer.

post your recipe so you can get an estimate for your OG. If it hasn't been a week, i'd at least wait a week before you rack. Other than that, i'd say you're good to go.

Got Trub? said:
Oh and yes you are reading the gradations correctly. Also you take the reading from the top of the meniscus not the bottom.

Sorry, but you should take the reading from the bottom of the meniscus, not the top.

-a.

thanks everyone, I think I had a lot of problems, I had too much water and left out the excess wort, I was afraid of contamination, I forgot to take a OG. I didn't aggitate long enough before sealing etc. soooo I just bottled it today and said move on. I think the temp will be a major factor in the reading, I forgot to take that into consideration too. the fermenation was ok, not excessive by any means. I tasted it when I bottled it and it tasted OK, like flat beer. the reciepe was a brown ale kit EXT with Special Grains. So I tried to be real careful with the sterilization and decided to bottle, wait 2 weeks and move on. as long as I don't blow up my bottles, I see it as a success either way, it won't be the best but hopefully drinkable. If not, down the drain and try again.
I'm a teacher and tell all my students, you never learn anything if you don't make mistakes.... I made alot, and learned a lot. thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out in 2 weeks.

ajf said:
Sorry, but you should take the reading from the bottom of the meniscus, not the top.

-a.

I stand corrected. I had looked into this ages ago and somehow fixated on reading from the top.

And just like that my efficiency gains a couple of points.:ban:

Back