Reaching my FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinostylee

Reaction score
I'm on my third brew, and all three fermentations have stalled. I'm taking measures to help prevent that in the future (regulating temp, using starters, etc).

This current one is a Belgium Dubbel Ale. It's OG was 1.064, and I re-pitched some champagne yeast at 1.030 (don't know where it's at now, I doubt much lower than 1.030).

My question is, how long do you wait? I'm determined to get this FG down to 1.020 at least. Should I keep shaking the primary? Adding even more yeast? I just want a normal ABV for once.

Thank you!

You don't want to shake the primary for you could oxygenate your brew. What temp are you fermenting at? I might try to raise the temp, or lightly swirl your primary to suspend the yeast back up into the brew. If it is still stalled, might want to add some more yeasties.

anthrobe said:
You don't want to shake the primary for you could oxygenate your brew. What temp are you fermenting at? I might try to raise the temp, or lightly swirl your primary to suspend the yeast back up into the brew. If it is still stalled, might want to add some more yeasties.

I was thinking about that . . . assuming that the oxygen in the space above the wort is replaced with carbon dioxide, would it still oxygenate the wort? I'm brewing at 72 degrees.

If all the air was purged from the carboy by the generation of CO2, then you can't aerate the wort by shaking the thing. The only issue is: How do you know all the air was purged?

If it's in the primary, chances are REALLY good there is no air left in there. If it is in the secondary, there might or might not be air still in it.

-walker

I swirl mine sometimes when I feel the yeast has died down some. The after effect is the airlock gurgles like crazy. If that's the case then you can't aerate since no air is entering the primary...only CO2 exiting.

Back