Re-yeasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage Brewer

Reaction score
Just tried this LME brew (this Soulless Hop one) yesterday. It was my first brewing attempt after taking a break for over a decade. I made a newb mistake. I got to the point where the yeast is pitched into the fermenter when my neighbor showed up and we started talking. Long story short, I dumped the yeast into the fermenter and sealed it up. Later, when cleaning my equipment, I noticed the bowl with the yeast still had about 80% of it stuck to the bottom. Ugh! Apparently I tossed frothy yeast water into the fermenter, but kept most of the yeast.

Anyway - this morning I noticed the fermenter was still at 82F (I have it on a heater) so I figured I'd pull the airlock out and dump another package of Kveik yeast into it. The airlock wasn't out long. I dumped all the yeast in. Now I wonder if the yeast will make it to the wort, or if it's just floating on top of some krausen or something.

What do you all think?
Will doing this late yeast-dump ruin the batch, or is there still hope for it?

It'll be beer.... :ghostly:

If you had krausen already, then the yeast is at work... If, perhaps, under pitched.

Was the new packet of yeast rehydrated or
Sprinkled in dry? Or was it liquid yeast?

If it was liquid yeast, or rehydrated, then it made it thru any krausen... And will also get to work.

RDWHAHB :bigmug:

... and to answer jtratcliff, I just pitched dry Kveik yeast through the airlock hole using a funnel. The yeast says it can reconstitute at 80F, which was the temp of the wort when I tossed it in. But I didn't do anything to prep it - just poured it in like sand. No action in the fermenter yet, but I'm going to start the countdown timer from the second yeast add, since I don't think much made it in the first time.

Was the initial yeast also a kveik? If so, there's not even a problem with under pitching here.
Yes, both times I used Kveik. It sounds like the most forgiving of the yeasts so it's the only one I have on hand at the moment. Although, the recipe I used said to ferment at 50-65F, and Kveik suggests a temp of 70F+. So ... I'm giving the yeast the temp it wants (since I don't know why wort would care what temp it is). Fortunately - I got some airlock activity yesterday, so that looks promising. It only lasted about 20 mins - but it let me know something is going on in that fermenter.

Yes, both times I used Kveik. It sounds like the most forgiving of the yeasts so it's the only one I have on hand at the moment. Although, the recipe I used said to ferment at 50-65F, and Kveik suggests a temp of 70F+. So ... I'm giving the yeast the temp it wants (since I don't know why wort would care what temp it is). Fortunately - I got some airlock activity yesterday, so that looks promising. It only lasted about 20 mins - but it let me know something is going on in that fermenter.
You could have probably left it is it was before the additional yeast as kveik can be pitched in incredibly low rates without any problems. But adding more yeast did not create any harm either. It will be beer!

Back