Re-yeasting with liquid brett...amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
I am about to bottle a flanders red coming up on a year of aging. I would like to re-yeast with some very active liquid slurry that I cultured up from a bottle of Sierra Nevada/Russian River brux. I am assuming that it is some mixture of a belgian ale strain and brett b.

About how much slurry should I add to the bottling bucket for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks.

I don't know what is in that bottle or what they use to condition with, but usually, the conditioning strain isn't what is fermented with. Anyways, I would go with about 200 mL or so of slurry.

I don't know what is in that bottle or what they use to condition with, but usually, the conditioning strain isn't what is fermented with. Anyways, I would go with about 200 mL or so of slurry.

200 ml is a **** ton of yeast for bottle conditioning. That's probably more than enough to ferment a regular beer. I would just take about 5 to 10 ozs of the liquid from your starter (no sediment) and add that to the bottling bucket for 5 gallons. All you need is a small amount of active sacc or brett to work on the priming sugar.

I'd check what's used to bottle first. Russian River almost always bottles with wine yeast. Wine yeast would be fine for carbonating your beer but it doesn't sound like that's your goal.

Brux conditioned with Brett B, it says so on the bottle. I was more curious as a general inquiry about reyeasting with liquid brett vs. rehydrated dry yeast. I may end up using Brett Trois, so I was more interested in the amount than the actual yeast in question.

Back