re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullF-16

Reaction score
I have a hobgoblin II AG that i put into the bucket 48hrs ago. No signs of fermentation from the re=hydrated nottingham. The OG was 1.066 and today it was 1.062. I have an IPA i am about to move to secondary and was wondering if i could scoop out the Thames Valley ale yeast cake into a sterilized vessel and transfer it to my hobgoblin to get things going. What do you think?

Repitching isn't a bad idea after 48 hours with very little change. How has the TV yeast cake been stored?

it hasnt been stored. it has been in the fermenter for 9 days and i am transferring the IPA to secondary.

You should be fine then. I'd use 1/4 to 1/3 of that cake but be prepared for a furious fermentation if you do.

BTW, what temp are you fermenting at?

You should be fine then. I'd use 1/4 to 1/3 of that cake but be prepared for a furious fermentation if you do.

BTW, what temp are you fermenting at?

64 degrees at first, i have since let the temp come up to 68-70 to try to kick start it. I just popped the lid to take another grav reading and there is a very thin layer of Krauzen on top now, so i think i will wait a while.

If fermentation has finally kicked, that's good. I'd hold off pitching that yeast cake then. 70 is on the high side but still within range. If you can maintain a little cooler (68 as you suggested) it would be better and result in a cleaner tasting product. Be cautious about taking so many readings, though. The more you open the fermenter, the more you welcome the chances for an infected brew.

64 degrees at first, i have since let the temp come up to 68-70 to try to kick start it. I just popped the lid to take another grav reading and there is a very thin layer of Krauzen on top now, so i think i will wait a while.

Glad I waited before re-pitching. this morning after 60 hr lag time, or at least signs of activity, the airlock is gurgling away. :ban: After about 10 batches under my belt now, no 2 fermentations have been the same?:confused:

Back