re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
so i tried re-using yeast for the first time. i ferment in two v-vessel systems. one batch had finished fermenting. i brewed another batch for the second fermenter, and removed the capsule and poured it into the new batch. started bubbling later that afternoon, but has stopped bubbling already. only about 24 hours. the same yeast on the first batch fermented really hard with alot of krausen for al least 2-3 days long. i have some safelle 05 i can add. does anyone think the cultured yeast is dead? should i go ahead and add more?

so i tried re-using yeast for the first time. i ferment in two v-vessel systems. one batch had finished fermenting. i brewed another batch for the second fermenter, and removed the capsule and poured it into the new batch. started bubbling later that afternoon, but has stopped bubbling already. only about 24 hours. the same yeast on the first batch fermented really hard with alot of krausen for al least 2-3 days long. i have some safelle 05 i can add. does anyone think the cultured yeast is dead? should i go ahead and add more?

I'm willing to bet it's fermented out- no need to repitch. Check the SG if you really want to know; otherwise, just wait it out.

what was your OG, and what is your gravity now?

And shame on you relying on bubbling as the only indicator of fermentation! ;)

Seriously though, I've heard that if you pitch on a yeast cake, you can finish quite quickly as you have lots and lots of hungry yeasties just sitting in the weeds waiting for more fermentables

It seems unnatural, but it's entirely possible it's done fermenting. Using a big starter or pitching on a cake gives it a quicker and usually more vigorous fermentation. 1.048, I doubt it's done though. But, nobody in their right mind would move it to secondary or god forbid bottle it in anything under 4 days if you asked me. Fermentation is just one step in the process.

Trick being, it's a BIG starter - can get the job done and how.

Brewed a batch late Saturday night - pitched on cake of a batch pitched from packet the week before - it's been "effectively done" since Sunday evening.

Don't have all that lag time while the yeast get their act together.

It's a bigger beer (1.058 .vs. 1.044) but got done quicker (nope, have not looked at a hydrometer since the OG, and won't until I rack - but with a carboy it's not hard to equate airlock activity with fermentation rate - there's very little place to leak, unlike a pail). Won't bother it until I rack it a week after starting - won't bother it again until two or three weeks after that - will be surprised if there's any difference in gravity, and if surprised will leave it alone for another two or three weeks before checking it again. If not surprised I'll probably bottle it.

I've had beers (even beers of 1.074 or so) ferment out overnight with a big starter, or pitching on the yeast cake.

Without checking the SG, any advice is pointless.

I've got a 1.050 pale ale that has been in the primary for 4 weeks, and Im thinking of pitching another beer on the cake. Do you think the yeast will still be viable, or are they too stressed to start up again? I want to throw an IPA on it, somewhere in the 1.065 range. Thoughts?

mike

Why would the yeast be stressed? 4 weeks is not very long. Every time I have reused a yeast cake, it has been 3 - 4 weeks after the initial batch started. They all worked great.

Back