re using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
I saved some yeast that I used in my pumpkin ale. Saved (washed I heard was what the method I used is called)it in a mason jar and let the trub settle and am going to drain off the clear layer and thin milky layer and leave the trub behind. When I re use it I am going to dump it in with some white labs liquid yeast and was wondering if that would be enough to get the washed yeast moving or if I should make a starter

1. There are TONS of threads about washing and reusing yeast. Search.
2. I wouldn't really suggest reusing any yeast from brews with heavy adjuncts (eg pumpkin) as the yeast likely has worked a little harder and may have adapted in strange ways
3. ???
4. You're washing yeast to reuse it and then adding more yeast to it?? I don't get it.
5. I always build a starter when using washed yeast. First, it lets you know if the yeast is even viable and not ruined, and secondly, since you refrigerated it (right??) the yeast is dormant and needs to be fed before dumping it into wort.

I was going to mix it with another yeast to make a unique blended strain. I'm going to use it in s holiday ale so if it picked up some spice flavor I'm cool with that as long. I never had made a starter and never had a problem at all (white labs kicks ass) but it is dorment for sure that's why I was wondering if I mixed it with a active yeast if that would start it. It's not a whole lot probably like a quarter vile . Thanks for the info though I will look into a starter .
Cheers Bottoms up!

I was going to mix it with another yeast to make a unique blended strain. I'm going to use it in s holiday ale so if it picked up some spice flavor I'm cool with that as long. I never had made a starter and never had a problem at all (white labs kicks ass) but it is dorment for sure that's why I was wondering if I mixed it with a active yeast if that would start it. It's not a whole lot probably like a quarter vile . Thanks for the info though I will look into a starter .
Cheers Bottoms up!

It is not yeast that will kick start yeast. Yeast will start to multiple when they eat and are happy.

Do search for a couple of the threads on yeast washing. In fact there are a few I believe that are stickied.

Yeah I know they start to work when they start to eat the sugars I just wasn't site if their (happines) lol would rub off. I'm going to check out some sites. Thanks

Back