Re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
On Friday I brewed up a batch of, well, actually I don't know what it is. I was going to make a Bavarian Lager, but then I decided I needed more beer soon (I'm down to a little more than a case of homebrew) and I wouldn't have time for it to be ready. So instead I used German Ale Yeast that I had on hand. Unfortunately, it apparently was too old and I didn't make a starter. After 36 hours there was no visible activity in the primary. I transferred my altbier into the secondary, sanitized my funnel and poured the yeast into my new beer (I was too lazy to move the beer onto the "old" yeast). Anyway, 12 hours later: shazam! We have liftoff. It's bubbling away nicely now.

I wonder what you would call a Bavarian Lager that's made with Ale yeast?

Hmmm . . . isn't a Bavarian Lager in the Munich Helles family? If so, wouldn't you have something like a weaker (ABV-wise) Dead-Guy Ale? I think that Rogue's Dead-Guy Ale is actually a Maibock that is brewed with the Pacman ale yeast. Since a Helles is a weaker Maibock, you have a . . . Half-Dead Guy Ale.

I'd call it "One Foot in The Grave" (a reference to the expired yeast you didn't use and its relative similarity to Rogues' Maibock Ale.

:fro:

That being said:

I'd call it yummy!

Q4T

You could always call it "Zombie Ale" or "Undead Ale" too. The fact I got the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z: for Christmas and I've read them both have no influence on my comments at all!

Back