Re-Using yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bniesen

Reaction score
I am wondering if it I will get any "crossover" flavors from using washed yeast that was used in a "Afelwein". I am going to use Weizen 3068 yeast in a batch of Apfelwein and I am planning on re-using it when I brew my Weizenbock.

Is there a possibility that I could get some/any "undesirable" flavors from doing this? I do plan on making a starter when it comes to the Weizenbock.

No undesirable flavors, you are fine on that score.

I would say you are OK.

But ..... some people say that if a yeast gets used to simple sugars (Afelwein), it may not ferment complex sugars (beer) as well.

I re-use yeast all the time between different types of beers with no issues, but have no experience going from a simple sugar brew to a complex sugar brew.

But ..... some people say that if a yeast gets used to simple sugars (Afelwein), it may not ferment complex sugars (beer) as well.

i've heard the same thing about simple sugars, but never tried it in my own brewing. what i would suggest is when you take your washed yeast and get ready to pitch a starter for the beer, use some yeast nutrient to help strengthen the new yeast that're produced in the starter.

I guess it's pretty common that yeast can lose the ability to break up complex sugars in a very short period of time. Why not wash your cake and split it up so you have a fresh pitch of second generation yeast for each batch. That way you don't have issues of underattenuation.

El Exorcisto: I almost always have two jars of yeast after I wash from a yeast cake, but that is not an option because I am pitching right from a "smack pack".

I could just make a starter using some DME, then wash, and split it up that way. I guess that is my only other option unless I just wait and see what happens if I go from simple to complex surgars. Hopefully someone that has experience will chime in.

Thanks for the replies.

You could pitch the majority of your smack pack and build up a starter from a little residual. Your call, but the science tells me it's potentially a bad idea to reuse it after apfelwine for anything but a simple-sugar must of cider/wine/mead.

I went ahead and made a starter using DME. I'll use half of the starter in the Apfelwein and I'll save the rest in the fridge when I make my Weizenbock. Then when the apfelwein is done I'll wash that and mark it for wine/cider only.

Back