Re-using Yeast, is this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on re-using yeast by pouring a new batch rright onto the old yeast cake.
From my understanding all I do is this.

1) Transfer original beer (Hefe weizen)
2) Cap carboy, with airlock
3) Make new beer as normal (Dunkel Weizen)
4) Cool wort like normal
5) Dump into primary ontop of the other yeast.

Did I miss anything? Both style beer are Hefe's and use the same yeast so I figured why not.

Thanks

Sounds about right. Be sure to sanitize anything that might contact the cooled wort including the neck of the carboy.
Oh and be ready for a fermentation explosion!

Cool, thanks for the back-up. I just wanted to make sure that I was set-up for brewing this coming weekend.
I have a blow off tube, I will be sure to use it.

Thanks again,
Josh

I usually scoop up a pint mason jar of the goop on the bottom of the bucket and put it in the fridge until the next beer is ready for it. It works good, takes off pretty quick, but I have never gotten an "explosive" fermentation with it. I think it might have to do with optimal fermentation temps.

I will play devil's advocate here:

Just save a portion of the cake in a sanitized container. I'd say about 1/3 of the total. Then just pitch that into your dunkel.

Cake-pitching is going to be overpitching, especially with that notorious weizen-yeast character you want to put into the beer.

Back