Re-using Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I know that Star San can be kept and reused for quite a while if the Ph is correct. My question is, what is the correct Ph? Thanks, Mike

Yep, you will need to use RO water if you want to keep it a long time. The mineral in tap water will cause it to cloud and PH to climb over time. As BLL says, keep it below three and you are good to go, but the easiest way to do this is to use RO water.

RO water is what I use. I mix a gallon at a time, and put some in a spray bottle. The rest I use to submerge all my small equipment (hose, bungs, airlocks, spigot, gaskets, thief, autosiphon, etc.) in a 30" wallpaper tray. I use the spray bottle to coat the inside of my buckets & lids. If I'm bottling, I just decant a pint or so of the solution into the sulfiter (what turns out to be a "foam fountain" when used with Star San) and rapidly sanitize my bottles inside, placing them in the dishwasher for a spin through it.
That gallon can be used 3-4 times before the color of the pH paper goes off, and I just mix another batch. Very economical of water and Star San.

Back