Re-using hops from dry hopping as bittering hops for the next batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Just recently I've heard about this new (well, new to me) technique. You basically re-use hops from dry-hopping in one batch, as your bittering hops in the boil for the next batch.
Have you guys heard anything like this before? And how would you calculate IBUs for the "re-used" hops? Is it a common practice, or is it more of an experimental procedure?

Dry hopping adds flavor by the beta acids, the bitterness is from the alpha acids. Theoretically, it should work.

My concern would be variability and lack of control, but not knowing exactly what the bittering impact would be. You can't easily add bitterness if it's missing, and could have a bad beer because of this.

Try it on a low bitterness beer like a blonde so if it is low it won't be that bad and if its high then you will have a bitter blonde that might not be that bad

Latest posts

Back