Re-using blow-off yeast in a Star-san solution: THE RESULTS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, 12 days ago, I made a single malt tripel (all base malt) with 2 lbs of light BCS. I had a vigorous fermentation, and I decided it would be wise and necessary to install blow-off equipment to my carboy.

So, I made a solution of FUNCTIONAL Star-San solution. ( I use pH strips to test the sanitizing solution I make in 5 gallon buckets when necessary) The pH of this particular batch was 3.0 on the money.

I then had the blow-off normally installed from the carboy into a 1 gallon mason jar full of this solution, and inserted the end of the blow-off assembly inside the jar with the solution.

Vigorous fermentation, vigorous blow-off. Not only did I have a lot of really fermentable sugars (Mashed at 150), but it was very well aerated. Fermentation kicked off 4 hours post-pitch.

I started noticing that as this mad fermentation persisted, I was getting a considerable amount of yeast in the mason jar-- enough to discolor the solution, and deposit a considerable (1/4 inch) yeast cake on the bottom of the blow-off vessel!

Since the color was changing, I figured that the yeast contribution was in fact diluting the sanitizer concentration. It was! About 5 days into the fermentation, I took a pH reading and it was at 3.3. I knew that if the pH rises above 3.5, the star-san solution would

A.) Be a considerable yeast nutrient
B.) Be of low enough pH that it would make it very hard for bacteria to grow in the solution (but not impossible)

I had also figured that the first yeast cells that made it inside of the blow-off container were SURELY dead. But what use are dead yeast cells?

Yeast nutrients for the ones that may have survived!

So what did I have on my hands YESTERDAY, when I tested the pH and made a mini-starter?

A considerable amount of yeast, all of which could be dead, in a nutrient-dense environment with a pH of 3.8 that had been kept sanitary for days

So, I took a sanitized SS spoon, and scooped up some of the slurry from the bottom of the mason jar, made a very light starter at 1.028 OG, pitched the yeast, and this is what I have!

The smell has changed from the starter from slightly sour in the beginning (more than likely from all the dead yeast), to guess what? Beer!

Prost!

Looks pretty good to me! I got something similar when I was racking my IPA to the bottling bucket. I got to the bottom of the cooper's FV & the tube started filling with yeasty beer. Just caught it as the slurry started coming out of the tube. I drained it into a glass,getting it about half full. Covered it with foil,& got about 1/16" of yeast on the bottom. Looks like about the amount in a 7g sachet. I'm going to make a starter out of it,just for kicks & the experience.

That rocks. I've had that happen to me with WLP300 and had the same thoughts. However, I didn't follow up on it with a starter. Guess I need to next time.

Congrats!

I know-- I have more WLP530 than I know what to do with. Since it's already washed, can't I just dump the yeast, once it's been through a starter, into a sanitized mason jar? How long would it last in the fridge?

AWESOME! I have been waiting for this post!

It actually wont last as long as if you had washed it. In washing yeast you boil the water to remove all the oxygen which encourages the yeasties to take a looong nap....thus increasing time you can store them.

If you wanted to save these guys long term, I would put your starter iun the fridge, decant, then pour the slury into a mason jar of boiled water!

AWESOME! I have been waiting for this post!

It actually wont last as long as if you had washed it. In washing yeast you boil the water to remove all the oxygen which encourages the yeasties to take a looong nap....thus increasing time you can store them.

If you wanted to save these guys long term, I would put your starter iun the fridge, decant, then pour the slury into a mason jar of boiled water!

Great idea and it makes total sense-- thanks!

Back