Re-used Yeast = Long Ferment??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
I recently used some Nottingham yeast that I had saved following Bernie's yeast washing thread. It had been in the refer for about 4 weeks when I decided to pitch it on to a batch of my Blonde Ale. I warmed it up to about 70* F and pitched about 3 cups worth of slurry into 5 gallons. It has been fermenting for 14 days at about 64* and is still only down to 1.014 from 1.053. This beer usually ferments to 1.010 in 7 days at this temp when I just toss in packet of Nottingham( not even rehydrated), so what gives?

Isn't 64 kind of low for an ale? The lower the temp the longer the fermentation... ;)

EDIT: I just found this:

The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculent (precipitating) and relatively full attenuation (transforming sugar into alcohol) properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for an ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt to develop. Good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14°C (57°F), allow this strain to brew lager-style beer. Recommended 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) fermentation temperature range.

So, I guess you are in the zone...

Back