Re-Used Yeast Fermentation Won't Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I washed out a ringwood yeast that I used on a previous batch. I did it the Wyeast way and had a good sample. I'm pretty sure I did everything write. I brewed yesterday (1.5 weeks later) and pitched this yeast into the wort like I normally do. I figured fermentation would start sooner since its spent yeast cells. It's been 18 hours and no bubbles yet. I just put some yeast energizer in to see if that will help. Shouldn't it have started by now with re-used yeast? Kinda worried.

I'd let it go for a while yet before you do anything. Bubbling in the bucket/airlock is really no accurate indication of fermentation. Make sure your blowoff tube/airlock/stopper are sealed properly to co2 can't escape from those areas. I've had ferments start upwards of 3 days after I pitched yeast and the beer still turned out good.

It's probably fine.

A lot depends on how much you pitched, how cold it was where they were stored, how much trub you got, and so on. Give it a day and if you get worried go ahead and pitch more.

18 hours?

I would not even worry about a fresh packet of notty at 18 hours. Go away. stop looking. comeback on Wednesday. Post that it is fine.

:mug:

I washed out a ringwood yeast that I used on a previous batch. I did it the Wyeast way and had a good sample. I'm pretty sure I did everything write. I brewed yesterday (1.5 weeks later) and pitched this yeast into the wort like I normally do. I figured fermentation would start sooner since its spent yeast cells. It's been 18 hours and no bubbles yet. I just put some yeast energizer in to see if that will help. Shouldn't it have started by now with re-used yeast? Kinda worried.

Far and by far the easiest way hands down to build a yeast library is to eat a whole bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Take the jelly jars, cleanse them with OxyClean Free, and sanitize the heck out of them in a pot full of Iodophor solution. It is rinse free at 1 oz per 5 gallons.

On brew day let some of your cooled runnings from the boil-tun into each of the jars. And, then get some of the yeast into each jar. Open and close each jar successively as to limit air exposure.

Shake the heck out of the jars. And, put them into a dark warm place for a day. Then toss them into your yeast fridge.

Having a spray bottled of Iodophor solution is the nuts. Spray the heck out of your hands and the jars.

This system works best with 4oz or 8oz jars.

When I use White Labs yeasts, I git my runnings into the vial and stock it away.

Back