Re-usable bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coined by John Hein, who sold the idea to tv guide, who now works on the howard stern show BABA BOOYEY (sorry bout the hijack)

Yuri_Rage said:
...and to add something useful: Try Grolsch flip-top bottles - they're the holy grail(s) of homebrewing.

If only Grolsch didn't taste like arse......

Any brand in particular other than Grolsh and Sam Adams that can be re-used without danger of blowing up my closet?

Almost any crown-top bottle will work. You want to avoid twist-offs, as they're a lot more difficult to get a proper seal with. Some European beers are more difficult to get to seal properly, as well.

You also want to avoid green or clear glass if possible, as you have to be a lot more careful about keeping them out of the sun. Brown is best.

People have problems with exploding bottles when they add WAY too much priming sugar, when they have an infection, or (probably the most common) when they bottle before fermentation is complete. If you practice good sanitation, don't add too much priming sugar, and know how to use a hydrometer, you should never have a problem with "bottle bombs." The only bottles I would be worried about are some of the BMC bottles that are a pretty thin, but since they're twist-tops, you wouldn't use them anyway. Anything you get from any of the good micros will be PLENTY strong enough to use over and over and over again.

Thanks everyone....exactly what I was looking for. Another Wittekerke and I'm going to start cleaning my empites.

Back