Re-Pitching Yeast on Bottling Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
This weekend I have a Brown Ale I'm going to bottle. I put it in a secondary a couple weeks ago to add vanilla beans, and cold crashed it when I had to leave town for the weekend and still hadn't gotten a Johnson controller.

So with being in secondary, and cold crashing I want to re-pitch some yeast just to be safe, but I had a couple questions. I used US-05 to ferment with.

How much should I re-pitch?

If I get US-05 I assume re-hydrating would be a must since to make sure it gets mixed in evenly with the beer.

To skip the re-hydrating step, would I be able to pitch a vile of liquid yeast, like WLP001?

Thanks!

First, you don't need more yeast. I cold crash everything. Lagers get below freezing temps for weeks and still carbonate fine. (I don't do secondary fermenter though).

But if you must, use a half pack of dry s-05. I would rehydrate just to make sure it doesn't all float on the top of your beer when you add it to your bottling bucket.

Back