re-pitching before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

Reaction score
i know that the forum is threaded to death about this kind of topic but i didn't see any that really touched on what my issue is at the moment. i have had a maple wheat ale that i dry hopped and oaked..then i got busy. it has sat for probably 6 months at this point in secondary..i took a bit out and tried it..tasted ok. so i continued on with my recipe..kinda... the recipe called for 1/2 cup of priming sugar and 1/2 cup of maple syrup, well i used 1 1/4 cups of maple syrup along with the 2 cups of water recommended. i then pitched " a dose" of yeast (wyeast 1056) about half a pouch full. i was afraid to pitch the whole thing. my question is this. did i pitch too much, too little, and if so..how do i decide when to bottle as to not get bottle bombs?

You already primed????? BOTTLE!!!!!

If it has been even 4 hours, you will have to wait a few days and start again. You prime and bottle almost immediately.

It doesn't matter how much yeast you pitched, it is the amount of sugar that creates carbonation.

Actually 1.25 cups of maple syrup is too much if it's a 5 gallon batch. It will be way over carbed and cause bottle bombs. Let it ferment out for a few days and start over. Then use a priming calculator like this; http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ to figure out how much maple syrup to use. Add the syrup right when you bottle like cheezy said.

according to instructions, it said to prime with 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup of priming sugar boiled in 2 cups of water, re-pitch and wait 3 days or until fermentation stops to bottle. ..what it didn't specify was should i re prime before i bottle or just wait till the airlock stops bubbling presuming there is still a touch of fermentable sugar and some yeast in suspension. if anyone has the 250 clones book it is the maple wheat..or a take on it.

according to instructions, it said to prime with 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup of priming sugar boiled in 2 cups of water, re-pitch and wait 3 days or until fermentation stops to bottle. ..what it didn't specify was should i re prime before i bottle or just wait till the airlock stops bubbling presuming there is still a touch of fermentable sugar and some yeast in suspension. if anyone has the 250 clones book it is the maple wheat..or a take on it.

That just really doesn't make sense to me at all. I wish I had the book. Can you scan the page and post it here?

i dont know if this will be big enough to see but here goes

From what it looks like they just wanted you to add yeast 3 days before bottling and they miss-worded it by saying "prime"..

You would never add priming sugar 3 days before bottling, because it would likey all ferment by then. Leaving you without the necessary sugars to carbonate with.

From what it looks like they just wanted you to add yeast 3 days before bottling and they miss-worded it by saying "prime"..

You would never add priming sugar 3 days before bottling, because it would likey all ferment by then. Leaving you without the necessary sugars to carbonate with.

agreed, the instructions are only telling you to add the yeast a few days before bottling, but the priming sugars are added when you are ready to bottle. I think that is way too much priming sugar, the half cup alone would probably get the job done.

I think that is way too much priming sugar, the half cup alone would probably get the job done.

Definitely too much sugar. Just half a cup of maple syrup all by itself is enough for 2.6 volumes of co2 on a 5 gallon batch.

Back