re-pitched, how long to wait ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellolab

Reaction score
I had issues brewing a hefe with what I thought was stuck fermentation as FG was at ~ 1.22. I waited for a few more days(15 days since brew date), and still not change.
So I roused the yeast, waited a couple days, no airlock activity, no FG change.
So I then pitched some more yeast, no airlock activity, no FG change.

My question is- how long should I wait before bottling after re-pitching? Keep in mind no additional fermenting took place...

Thanks/Kevin

No idea as to OG...don't ask !

Since there is no activity, no doubt it is "done". How long should I wait for the rousing/re-pitching to settle out before bottling?

Kevin

Your hefe is going to be cloudy anyways... If the FG has been constant for the last few days, you are free to bottle. However, you may want to transfer to a secondary for a few days just to allow any additional yeast to fall out of suspension. I would just hate for you to bottle and get "too much" yeast in the final product. Just remember, the hefe is supposed to have some yeast in suspension, so it may not be a bad thing at all that you repitched. IMHO I would still transfer to a secondary to clean it up a bit though...

It's probably not stuck, it's just done. I gone through this myself. The FG seems high, but nothing is happening. I had a batch where I've tried everything to get the fermentation "unstuck" -- repitching, added yeast energiser, stired the wort daily, and even set the fermenter on a heating pad. The gravity didn't budge.

So it may be just that you have a high FG. I'm assuming you meant your FG was 1.022 not 1.22 as 1.22 would be a high OG for even the strongest wine. What was your recipe? We may be able to estimate your OG, but it will only be an estimate.

There are several possible causes of a high FG. Did you do a mash or was this an extract? If your mash was on the high end of the temperature range, you will get a high FG. If you used an extract, your at the mercy of the manufacturer. I've had some extract kits end with a gravity in the 1.018-1.020 range.

It was a Northern Brewer extract kit. The only change I made was to use a 3068 smack instead of the yeast they gave me, and pitched at 75 degrees with the goal of more of a bananna profile.
And yeah, I meant 1.022 :)
I think it's done as well, just need to wait ?? days for the rousing/re-pitching to settle out some.

Kevin

Make sure not to rely on your airlock for completed fermentation. Check your gravity, if its the same for 3+ days, its finished.

Since it's a Hefewiesen, you could just bottle now. The fermentation is done and yeast in the bottle is desirable in this style.

Back