Re-pitch using different yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek_O

Reaction score
OK, so I screwed up. I started a batch of mead using calculations for an 18% ABV (EC-1118) yeast and just realized I used a 14% ABV yeast (71B-1122). So needless to say, it's going to be crazy sweet and I like my mead barely semi-sweet (FG 1.015). So a couple questions:

1. Can I re-pitch with EC-1118? When I re-hydrate the yeast I'll just slowly add some mead to get it acclimated to the ~14% abv before pitching it into the 5 gal carboy.

2. Should I wait for the 71B-1122 to finish or just kill it now (how?) and re-pitch with the other yeast asap?

I'd appreciate any advice/insight. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
See lol, clearly I have issues with these two yeasts! Post fixed... I hope. :)

Thanks for the reply Maylar. I'm administering SNA and degassing every 24 hours so hopefully it ferments well.

OG was 1.143

4.25g Fermaid O @ 24 hours
4.25g Fermaid O @ 28 hours
4.75g Fermaid K, 8.6g DAP @ 72 hours
4.75g Fermaid K, 8.6g DAP @ ~7 days

Even if you can push the 71B to 16% you'll be left with a sweet mead. I'd probably dilute what you have by 20 points and give it a chance.

If you want to pursue switching to the EC yeast, I'd let the ferment go down to maybe 1.090 and rack off the lees to a fresh fermentor to leave as much of the yeast biomass behind as possible first. You might also consider making a starter to give the EC a head start. EC-1118 is a killer yeast and 71B is susceptible to that, so the EC should win out.

I decided to dilute by 20 points rather than re-pitching. Thanks again for the advice.

Back