Re-pitch under pitched lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If a lager yeast was under pitched and OG stops 6 - 8 points above target, can more yeast be pitched? Is it best to just let the batch finish and chalk it up as a lesson learned?

At what point in lagering are you at? How long has this beer been going, did you do a D-rest? What temperatures are you at? How badly was it underpitched?

When you say 6-8 points do you mean .006-.008 or .060-.080, big difference!

Actually, I think the batch in question is probably past the point of lowering FG. I am mainly asking for future reference. Adding nutrient and aerating again sounds like a good way to go. Expected OG was 1.046, Actual was 1.054. Pitched 1 pack of Saflager S-23. After 3 days at 60F (per kit instructions), 10 days at 48 - 52F, and 4 days at 58 - 60F for D-rest, SG stalled at 1.020. Held at 58 - 60F for 3 more days. It improved to 1.016 and held. Have already dropped temp down to 52 and want to continue to chill. It tastes good and the abv is close to target.

Actually, I think the batch in question is probably past the point of lowering FG. I am mainly asking for future reference. Adding nutrient and aerating again sounds like a good way to go. Expected OG was 1.046, Actual was 1.054. Pitched 1 pack of Saflager S-23. After 3 days at 60F (per kit instructions), 10 days at 48 - 52F, and 4 days at 58 - 60F for D-rest, SG stalled at 1.020. Held at 58 - 60F for 3 more days. It improved to 1.016 and held. Have already dropped temp down to 52 and want to continue to chill. It tastes good and the abv is close to target.

I'd say it's moving along nicely and your process seems pretty spot on! With lagers though be sure to get your pitch rates proper as most lagers require large cell counts!

I hear you about the pitch rates. After I had started this batch I found out that lagers need a higher pitch rate. It was a Classic Pilsner extract kit, and I added 1 lb pale malt. This was just my second batch of home brew and I blindly followed the kit instructions. Instructions from my LHBS are good, but I made the mistake of buying this somewhere else.

After re-calculating for the malt, the OG was very close: 1.046 expected, + .007 (1.036 / 5 gal) = 1.053. At 1.054, OG was just 1 point high. Expected FG: 1.012; last measured was 1.016. Thanks for all the great advice. I'll know what to do next time.

Thanks to all the knowledge I have gleaned on this site I had the confidence to brew my first AG batch - a brown ale. It is doing great.

Back