Re-hydrating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDSanders

Reaction score
I have a question regarding re-hydrating yeast. This will be my first batch which will be a american pale ale. The kit I bought from a local store came with Safale us-05 ale yeast. The recipe instructions provided by the store states do not rehydrate the yeast but I have read in a few books that rehydrating insures the yeast is still good. Is this a necessary Step or is it a personal preference?

personal preference. i've done both with dry and had good results. i think the rehydrating step is to wake the yeast up and hydrate the cell walls with water as opposed to wort. it's debatable whether or not that matters to the yeast.

Welcome to HBT!

IMHO, it works either way. That is, I've done it both ways, never had a problem.

If you rehydrate, give it about half a cup of water and 10 minutes or so to get wet. Mix it up good so you don't leave gunk behind in the glass. That gunk is good stuff.

If you drop it in dry, just sprinkle it in and walk away.

Cheers!

Do it within 30 min and after aerating your wort,then pitch, you may find you get a start within <12 hrs compared to pitching dry. Its suppose to be healthier for the yeast, but people dont seem to complain of piching it dry either. The only difference i have noticed seems to be just a sooner start,as far as taste i havnt been able to tell or have really tried looking for it. Since i started hydrating ,thats the way i like to do it usually.

Thank you all for your help. I have found alot of answers to my questions on here so far. This is a great site with alot of great info.

Back