Re-hydrating dry yeast and wort temp, a critical consideration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannotti

Reaction score
So I apologize for bringing this topic up as I have read numerous posts on the topic of "to re-hydrate, or not" and just as many answers. But what I never found discussed is the concept that re-hydrating allows you to pitch into lower temperature wort. What I mean is typically if you direct pitch you need to pitch into a higher temp wort ( 68 or so ). This seems to me, and I am no expert - I am asking, a major consideration when deciding to re-hydrate or not. Example in mind is you can re-hydrate and pitch on 63 degree wort to lessen esters and diacetyl.

Anyone agree , disagree?

When using dry or liquid yeast, I always try to get my wort temps close to the fermentation temperature as possible before I pitch. So if I plan on fermenting at 63 degrees, I will usually wait for my wort to get to 63 before I pitch. You shouldn't have any issues pitching at 63 degrees.

Interesting. I just note that manufacturers typically instruct when "dry pitching" to pitch at higher temp:

Example Safale US05 68
"Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F)."
http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

Yet the fermentation range is stated as 59 to 75.

It seems to me the manufacturer in this case is recommending re-hydration if you want to pitch into wort cooler than 68, no?

Interesting. That's what it sounds like after reading that pdf. I wonder if you are pitching directly into the wort if the wort needs to be warmer to "wake" the yeast up a bit. I use liquid yeast for the most part, but I've never had issues with pitching temps when re-hydrating or pitching the dry yeast directly into the wort. What you could always do, is split a batch, use one where you re-hydrate and pitch at the temperature you want to ferment at. Then in the second batch, toss in the dry yeast into a warmer wort, then bring the temps down to your fermentation temps.

Basically looking for anyone who knows the answer to this. Is re-hydrating dry yeast most critical when pitching onto a lower temp wort. I realize I can direct pitch onto 68 degree wort. What I really want to know is will re-hydrating dry yeast be particularly beneficial when pitching the re-hydrated yeast onto a cooler wort.

Does any one do this? re-hydrate at 80 or per instruction temp range and pitch onto cooler wort ( say below 65 )? Of those people who re-hydrate what temp is your wort when you pitch? Do you allow the re-hydrated yeast to drop down to wort temp before pitching?

When I rehydrate with say US-05, I rehydrate with ~86F water. I then let it sit until it has gotten closer in temp to my wort, usually around 70. I then wait a couple of hours after pitching and then bring down the temp depending on the style and yeast. Never had any problems doing it this way. But that's just me. :mug:

I then wait a couple of hours after pitching and then bring down the temp depending on the style and yeast. Never had any problems doing it this way. But that's just me. :mug:

I'm sure you haven't had any problems but I am just trying to determine what would be considered "ideal". I would not think starting fermentation at one temp and then bringing it to a lower temp within a couple hours would be ideal for the yeast. I would think you would want to start at the temp you intend to complete initial fermentation at. Then raise temp at end of fermentation for diacetyl re-absorption.

I'm sure you haven't had any problems but I am just trying to determine what would be considered "ideal". I would not think starting fermentation at one temp and then bringing it to a lower temp within a couple hours would be ideal for the yeast. I would think you would want to start at the temp you intend to complete initial fermentation at. Then raise temp at end of fermentation for diacetyl re-absorption.

I think I've read that pitching yeast before it's completely down to your target fermentation temperature is ok because fermentation doesn't happen instantaneously. If I recall, the initial hours are when reproduction takes place and so the temp is not as critical because there really are no 'flavors' being developed? I may have this understanding wrong.

So you could pitch at say 75-80 and then it might take a few hours to bring it completely down to 60-65. This is basically what I do, no complaints thus far...

Back