Re-gassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertie87

Reaction score
I have a Coopers Irish stout in my barrel but didn't have a CO2 cap when I sealed it. I have since acquired one but would it be ok to change them now that half of the barrel has been drunk?
It's started going flat now

I'm not familiar with exactly how the barrel systems on your side of the actually work. But if you can introduce fresh co2 into it without 1) infecting the beer, 2) agitating it in such a way that it would oxydize and stale, the yes, go ahead!

I assume it's like what he's showing at 5:39 in this video, if that's the case, and all you're doing is charging with a fresh "cartridge" then you'll be fine.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bkkrE2zEU&t=5m39s[/ame]

(I tried to post this with that start but it didn't work.)

If you're talking about installing the carbonator cap first, you should still be ok, but make sure you sanitize the cap first, and also around the threads and top of the barrel. You also may degass what's already in there, so you might need two co2 chargers.

But if you're careful and sanitary you should be fine.

Brilliant thanks. Yes i do need to install a carbonator cap first. Wasn't sure if it would be OK changing them over

Back