Re-added yeast to my barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed a barley wine in early September, but it didnt carbonate once I bottled. So I uncapped and added 1ml from a starter I made to each bottle. How long should I let these sit? I bottled a couple in plastic bottles as well so I could feel the change in pressure while they carbonate. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

It may take several weeks or even a month or 2 (or more) for a big beer to carbonate properly. Make sure it is at 70F.

How long did you wait before you reprimed? If the original priming sugar is still in the bottles you may be in danger of bottlebombs. You might want to put these bottles someplace safe in case they explode. Watch the plastic bottles.

The room they are in stays between 66-68F, is that too low you think? I originally bottled around the 4th of Dec (give or take a day or two). Thank you for the feedback.

Those temperatures are fine, though if you can get them someplace in the 70s that might accelerate the process a bit.

I *think* you will be OK, 1 mL of starter per bottle doesn't sound like a lot of sugar to me. I would just be patient and let them ride for a good while.

Nukebrewer, you're right I meant yeast starter. My bad for not being specific. Thank you.

Back