RDWHAHB...what if its their first homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ewalk02

Reaction score
What do you tell a Noob when they have a question on their first homebrew? RDWHAHB doesn't apply because they dont have any??

Just asking because a buddy of mine called to say he was brewing his first homebrew but he thought it went bad because he used about 3 cups more water than the recipe called for. I went to tell him just relax, don't worry but then I got stuck...this guy is about 3 states over with no access to homebrew. I ended up saying relax, go get a 6-pack of good craft beer and don't worry about it.

scoopjackson

Reaction score
RDWHABH

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Brew at Home

Although Papazian does allow for commercial substitutes when Homebrew is not available. It's in the beginner's section.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
What do you tell a Noob when they have a question on their first homebrew? RDWHAHB doesn't apply because they dont have any??

Just asking because a buddy of mine called to say he was brewing his first homebrew but he thought it went bad because he used about 3 cups more water than the recipe called for. I went to tell him just relax, don't worry but then I got stuck...this guy is about 3 states over with no access to homebrew. I ended up saying relax, go get a 6-pack of good craft beer and don't worry about it.
Thats when you tell him to go buy a mixed sixer (with pry off caps)of 6 diff. styles of beer so he can figure out what he wants to brew next.:rockin:

McKBrew

Reaction score
RDWHACB

Relax don't worry have a commercial brew. Nothing wrong with beer in any form.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So they're easier to cap when he re-fills them.
Ok, fair enough! Although I have been capping screw-tops with success lately. I haven't had any trouble at all, but I have been using nice thick microbrew bottles and not BMC longnecks. Different topic for a different thread I suppose.

bsay

Reaction score
If I ever get anyone interested in brewing, I will give them a HB to have while relaxing and not worrying. Same happened for me on my first brew.