RDWHAHB (or, how I learned to wait on a delayed fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downzero

Reaction score
Local brewery seems to have killed its mango cider for the year. Bummer because it was pretty tasty. So up to the internet I go and found a recipe to give it a try (not complicated, apple juice + frozen mango). Into the bucket it goes along with some US-05, set temp to mid-60s, and should be vigorously fermenting within a day or two, right? OG ~1.050. No airlock activity.

Wrong. 3 days in, pull the lid for a gravity reading, 1.046. I decided to throw the mangos in at that point and see what happened. This ain't my first rodeo, maybe not the yeast nutrients in apple juice that we have in wort, so no worries, RDWHAHB, right?

Yesterday I pull the lid (day 8) and the krausen is almost up to the lid! Decided to just snap the lid back on since we know this one still needs at least a few days based on that; I'll give it at least a week.

Seems that like most all delayed fermentations, the solution is to make sure you have good temp control, relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew.

I'm sure I'll have tasty cider in the keg by this time next week or slightly thereafter.

Perhaps this isn't a very exciting story for those of you who have been doing this a while but I did find it pretty amusing. Every book says 6-24 hours and you'll have strong signs of fermentation. I bet this one had virtually no signs for the first 5 days (although I don't know for sure, since I just left it alone). I'll check it in another week.

Pretty much the reason I avoid dry yeast - this is my experience every time.

Pretty much the reason I avoid dry yeast - this is my experience every time.

That's an interesting perspective on things. I brew almost all of my beer with dry yeast and I've never experienced this kind of delay before.

Back