Raw Wheat vs Wheat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausbkj

Reaction score
Working on an American Wheat recipe. I have acess to large quantities of raw wheat (father-in-law is a farmer). Do I need to significantly change the grain bill or mash schedule or is torrification on order? Was planning on 50% wheat or more.

Thanks
B

In order to use raw wheat, you would have to malt it. If you don't, you won't be able to get any sugars out of it. Malting is a process that isn't hard, but it's time consuming. You'd have to allow your wheat to sprout by getting it wet. After it sprouts, you dry it to stop the growth. This creates the starches and enzymes needed to produce sugars.

I'd suggest sticking to malted wheat.

you dont have to malt it, but it wont convert itself. You need to crush it, cereal mash it (which basically means gelatinize it by boiling it, then you need to mash it with some kind of light malted grain. Pils malt is good here. you could probably do 50-50 pils / raw wheat.

Back