Raw Wheat berrys.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMann

Reaction score
I was at this country store, out in the boonies today, and saw the golden wheat berries. Whole wheat. I was wondering if I could use this in a beer, kinda like white wheat? Would I need to use 6 row to get better converstion? Would it taste good? Should I just try it? It was really cheap, like 75 cent a pound. J/W, if anyone had any ideas.

--matt--:ban:

Bump? Come on i am not the only person that seen these things in the store, and thought, can I brew with these?

--matt--

they are not malted, so you can attempt to do yourself. dont; think the gravity/lb will be much without malting. i may actually try to malt myself in in a few weeks. my grandparents farm about 1000 acreas and i don;t think they will miss 100lbs of wheat out of the bins. cost = $0. i think the issue with malting yourself is not consistent, potential to ruin the grain, and not knowing graivity/lb it will produce. saw a cool special on brewing on history channel a few weeks back wher it showed a small time malting operation. very interesting show. if you brew, you need 2 pour a few homebrew and watch it. i know i seen it b4 i started brewing this year, but appreciated much more once was into the field. :rockin::rockin:

Back