Raw sugar instead of priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkmasterchilly

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of beer about 3 days ago. So the first thing I did was boil 5 Oz. of priming sugar and put it in the bottom of the bottling bucket B/C I felt it would mix better if I suphioned the beer on top of it. And as I was getting everything ready my gf looked in the bottem of the bucket and being the kind loving cairing pirson that she is dumped out my priming sugar thinking it was water left in the bottem of the bucket from sterolization.:drunk:
No big deal I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and know that you don't have to use priming sugar to carbonate your beer, so instead of using 5 Oz of priming sugar I just used 4 Oz of sugar in the raw instead. Now I also know that its the diffrence between night and day waiting only 1 week to drink your beer as apoised to 2 weeks but I got anxious and drank a bottle only 3 days in and the one bottle I drank was VERY carbonated (and it tasted fine too) now my fear is that b/c the one bottle I tasted was so carbonated after only 3 days should I still wait a week or 2 or should I just put them in a cold place now to stop the carbonation process?

thank you for your feedback

PS sorry about my spelling I'm drunk and dyslexic. drunk most of the time and dyslexic all of the time. on another note I've tasted another beer now and its not as carbonated but still adaquitly carbonated.

Keep checking one every few days, I had a similar experience with cane sugar myself. They ended up just a little over carbonated but they certainly seemed to carbonate more quickly. I think with 4 oz of sugar you could have a bit of over carbonation but I don't think you have to worry about bombs or anything (unless the beer wasn't quite done fermenting). Try to keep them at room temp for a couple of weeks so they'll age properly.

That's so funny - I just did that this week! I wasn't thinking and I dumped out my priming solution! Only I can't blame a SO, I did it myself! The F-bombs were flying! I primed with more corn sugar because I had some extra on hand.

I test every few days and when it's at a level i like i fridge all the beers to try and stop from over carbinating. I know it's crazy but i just feel it's safer.

Back