ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
this may be a dumb question but I've been sitting here all day trying to wrap my head around the coming brew week.

because i am using the first running's from a Big batch for a double ipa I am also pulling an extra 2.5 gallons before adding some fresh grain and sparging for a third batch.

My Question is: how can I get the 2.5 gallon boiled, and cooled with 2.5 gallons clean water and end up with a gravity close to a good ipa (intended for a citra ipa) at least 1.06, while at the same time not have my first running's be barley wine strengths? nothing really above 1.08.
Obviously there are more then a few easy ways to fix this problem such as buying a new kettle or DME, but money and quality are of an issue. any good brewing sugar suggestions would be nice.
here is my grain bill (at the moment):

25 lbs Pilsner malt
15 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs Honey malt
1 lb white wheat
first running's should be in the 1.08's
sparge and secendary sach rest after adding
2 lbs Honey malt
1lb Belgian caramel malt

some ale yeast for the first two
then some fruit added to the end of the boil and in the third running's for a golden belgian.

Latest posts

Back