Raspberry Wheat Volcano!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
Yeehaw, look at 'er go! This is the secondary on 30oz of Oregon Raspberries and 14.5oz of red tart cherries.:rockin:

Raspberry Wheat.jpg

Should have used a blow off tube!!
Should be pretty good.
I'm drinking on a strwberry blonde ale right now, and it is fantastic. I wanna try raspberries next.

Yeah I have a wheat that was going to be a Watermelon wheat but is going to turn into a Raspberry wheat if we don't get some watermelons around here within the next week or so. Were the cherries to get some cherry flavor or to smooth out the berry tartness?

I added the cherries after reading other posts on here about raspberries. Something to do with the acids in the berries and the secondary fermentation. Mostly just figured it wouldnt hurt, and I think I read it helps the flavors come through better?

I added the cherries after reading other posts on here about raspberries. Something to do with the acids in the berries and the secondary fermentation. Mostly just figured it wouldnt hurt, and I think I read it helps the flavors come through better?

Definitely update with the end result. My batch will be over either watermelon or raspberry+lactose by the time yours is ready to drink but it will be nice to know for the future.

Watermelon has a ****-ton of water. Be aware of that when adding it to brews.

Just curious -- what was the recipe you used?

I am very interested in making my next batch an extract raspberry wheat which is what drew my attention to this thread. I guess that goes for anyone who wants to throw up their recipe for one that you've done in the past. I have never even worked with a wheat extract brew so I'm kind of at a loss...though I would assume you'd primarily use heavy amounts of wheat DME?

I notice wheats always have a tendency to have explosive fermentations, even with good temp control (I try to keep most of my batches in low 60s). Blow off tubes are a must

Recipee...

7 lbs. Bavarian Wheat LME
.75 oz German Hersbrucker Hops (60)
.25 oz German Hersbrucker Hops (5)
Weihenstephan Weizen, Wyeast Smack Pack

Primary 5-7 days in the low 60's
Secondary on above mentioned fruit...Im thinking 10-14 days.

I'm doing a NB Dawson's Kriek now. I swapped out the cherries for raspberries and upped them to 9#. I had a similar result, tho I used a blowoff tube, for the first three days on the berries! As for the tartness, Its a Lambic, and, well, I kinda want it sour.

Got her bottled up...ugly and stinky as hell but good fruit flavor. Let ya know in about a week on carbed flavor.

Not a big fan of wheat beers in general. This one does not impress me either. Good carbonation, color is strange. Good mouth feel and fruit forward. Yeast lends a lot of flavors, banana'ish. May be the problem.

0421120040.jpg

Back