Raspberry Lemonade not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knkbrand

Reaction score
Looking for some help. I frequently buy frozen juice concentrate to either make hard cider, hard lemonade, or hard cran-raspberry. This past weekend I made three gallons of Cran-raspberry and 3 gallons of raspberry lemonade. I used S05 on both juices. The Cran Raspberry took off, and is almost done fermenting. The lemonade wont ferment. There are no preservatives that I can see on the label. Any ideas what this wont ferment. I pitched a rehydrated packet of S05 on Saturday, thought something went wrong with the rehydration, yesterday I pitched a full pack of S05 dry. Pictures of the lable are attached
lemonade1.jpg

My last lemon juice 'skeeter pee' batch was a month on S04 with no activity, so I split it in half into a pair 5 gal carboys, added water and sugar but no additional lemon juice. Then I did a science experiment to see how much activity I could get in a quart jar with warm water, sugar, nutrients and another packet of S04. After getting it bubbling away I added lemon juice every few hours from the fermenters. Once the quart was full I split it to the now 10 gallons. Within a few days the bubblers were going strong and I added the additional lemon juice.

When finished primary, added sugars to taste and additional for priming and bottled. Took just short of a month to bottle prime! Pasteurizing 9 cases takes some time. But oh so good.

Lemon juice is notoriously hard to get started. Next batch I am going to try more nutrients in stages along with energizers. And I will add in much of the lemon juice after primary is well and truly active.

Sorry I should have searched before posting, just a little frantic when I woke up to no signs of fermentation. I have done lemonade before, just not this raspberry lemonade. In the past I had no problems with fermentation, but as I think about it I may haves used.a starter. I will get a starter going and see if that helps.

'Patience grasshopper' - Probably the most important ingredient when waiting on fermentation in lemon juice.

Back