Raspberry Ginger Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhelderman

Reaction score
Just thought I'd provide a little update. I attempted a raspberry ginger hard Apple cider and just got it in bottles. Overall I think it turned out pretty good.

A little recap:

-1 gallon Louisburg unfiltered pasteurized apple cider
-Belle saison yeast
-After a week, was fermented dry to 1.000.
-At this time, I racked onto frozen raspberries and 12 grams of dried ginger and FAJC to top off the one gallon jug, which of course restarted fermentation. Let it ride til dry at 1.000 for another week and a half.
-Racked off ginger and raspberries, let it sit for a few days, treated with K-Meta and K-Sorbate.
-Sweetened to 1.010 using FAJC.

See picture below. Definitely has a nice bite of ginger and a really apparent raspberry flavor, which is what I was going for. It's a bit too sweet for me, but my fiancé will love it...overall I'm pleased. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438658780.427150.jpg

Also a note: Belle Saison is an absolute monster. Fermented dry in no time. Interested to see if I can detect any saison-like peppery or funky flavors as this one ages.

Looks awesome, how many frozen raspberries did you use? I've got a cider with blackberries/raspberries finishing up as we speak. Color looks very similar, just not as clear.

Looks awesome, how many frozen raspberries did you use? I've got a cider with blackberries/raspberries finishing up as we speak. Color looks very similar, just not as clear.

I actually took about a cup and a half (I didn't weigh them) of frozen raspberries, heated them in a pot with some FAJC and mashed with a whisk. I then smashed them through a mesh strainer so I ended up with just the raspberry juice and a small amount of raspberry "pulp". Just kind of did it on the fly and it turned out to work really well.

Back