Raspberry cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
Just started a new cider tonight. I'm looking for something low abv this time, hopefully a nice summer quencher! I just hope its not tart. Recipe is:

1 1/2 gallons apple juice "great value Walmart".....hey it works for me!
2 cans Old Orchard Apple/Raspberry juice concentrate"from Walmart"
1 Packet Nottinghams ale yeast

I mixed the Old Orchard to its normal re-constitution which made a little over 3 quarts. Total I'm at 2 1/2 gallons. The Old Orchard has a definite rasberry taste however the ingredients in the juice are as follows: Apple juice, Pear juice, Grape juice and Raspberry juice.
I dont taste any grape but do taste the raspberry. I hope it doesn't come out to tart but I'm trying an ale yeast "first time" in an attempt to hold onto a bit of the sugar at the end. I did not add any sugar to this...

hydrometer was 1.044 PA around 5.8% but with the ale yeast will hopefully be a bit less. Plan is to let it go for 3 weeks or more and bottle carb it...

I'd say you're in the right direction. The ale yeast still might take that to complete dryness 1.000 (or less), but you could always backsweeten a little bit if it fits the taste. I think this sounds like a great brew.

I use the same ingredients for my raspberry cider, but I ferment the apple juice alone with champagne yeast, nuke it with sorbate and back-sweeten with the Old Orchard Apple/Raspberry juice when I keg. Everyone loves it.

I use the same ingredients for my raspberry cider, but I ferment the apple juice alone with champagne yeast, nuke it with sorbate and back-sweeten with the Old Orchard Apple/Raspberry juice when I keg. Everyone loves it.

Can you break that down into baby talk for a beer brewer that's never made cider? What's nuking with sorbate? And how do I go about back sweetening with the juice? I apologize in advance for probably very elementary questions.

Potassium sorbate when used with a sulfite will stabilize the cider, so you can back sweeten, or sweeten after the cider has fermented dry if you're going to force-carbonate in a keg. Otherwise, it could come back to life and over-carbonate.

You have to kill the yeast (or filter it out) to back-sweeten or they'll just reactivate and eat the new sugar.

Obviously, with no yeast at this point, the only way to carbonate is via kegging.

Back