Raspberry Blonde...thought suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
So trying to build a Raspberry Blonde for an August brew. This what I have so far...

Mash:
5# Pale 2-row
.5# Cara Pils/Dextrine
.5# Toasted Malt
.25# Caramel Malt (10L)

Boil:
2# Extra Light DME
1 oz Cascade Hops - 60 min
1 oz Challenger Hops - 10 min

Primary:
3# Raspberry puree (fresh grown from my garden, but frozen, as i have read htat freezing helps to break the cells down more)

Perhaps use a frozen puree to help lower the wort to pitching temp.

Any thoughts on how to keep the beer "clean." I recently made a Kiwi (Fruit) pale ale, ((good cold, bit crap if room temp; good a summer beer, with the kiwi flavor and the combination of hops it is leans more towards a grapefruit flavor.) and it ended up very hazy. My assumption is that is from the particulate of the kiwi.

I've heard people say the best results come from using a couple different methods, my best results so far have come from using Irish Moss in the last 15m of boil, racking off to a secondary after it's done fermenting and cold crashing for the last few days in the secondary, but that can be difficult for me to pull off as I don't have the fridge space to toss a fermentor in and my current ferment chamber often has 2 fermentors in it at different levels of fermentation. (and now i've got a 1gallon bucket system so add that to the party in there. Also when I go to bottle I try to leave the fermentor on the counter for a few hours maybe with a damp towel to slow the temp rise to give the bits and pieces a chance to settle out again after moving it to the counter.

I should mention that for my next few brews I'm going to try the Whirlfloc tablets instead of irish moss, I've read a lot of good things about them.

I haven't tried gelatin, isinglass or kc finings and couldn't really vouch for or against, though some of them sounded a bit more involved to work with.

Same issue here, don't have the space to cold crash, as for Irish Moss, we have used that with lots of luck in the past, unfortunately on the last one we ran out/lost (swore up and down the whole time I had it, so didn't order more). i was thinking that raspberry puree of fresh berries will allow for more ferment-able surface area, but also increase the chance of cloudiness in the final product.

Back